Weight Loss Ticker

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Sometimes You Need a Little Push...

Deciding to start getting fit and living a healthier lifestyle is not easy. It's not easy to drag your butt out of bed, run on a treadmill, do a workout video, go for a run or even deny yourself your favorite foods in order to reach your goal. Sometimes the journey becomes boring. You loose hope. You think there's no point and at times you feel like no one else values your struggles. But every once in a while along the journey, you come across a passerby that gives you a little nudge to keep pressing forward.

My sister challenged me to join her in a 5K for breast cancer. The run is on October 2nd so I have (had) exactly 10 weeks to complete the 9 week program and get running. I'll have to admit I'm excited and scared at the same time. The furthest I've ever run non-stop was 1.5 miles but I wouldn't exactly call that running. It was more of a jog. So, instead of doing my old routine which was running until I felt that I was about to pass out, I decided to try the Couch to 5K running program.

The C25K program is super easy to follow and makes running a 5K seem totally doable even in less than the amount of time the program calls for. So I've decided to repeat week one which consists of alternating walking 90 sec. with running 60 sec. I felt like I was going to nearly pass out on the treadmill. I'm thinking that I may need to give running outdoors another shot. All it took was a couple of bad shin splints for me and that was it. I vowed to only run on a treadmill unless it was race day. But I think I may be pushing myself a little too hard on the treadmill focusing on calories burned, speed and time. I'm thinking I may need to just use the C25K app (which I downloaded for my phone from the Droid Market) and just run and not worry about the numbers.  The program will time you and blow a whistle when its time to alternate.I also concluded that it may be time to quit my secret cigarette habit.  Smoking+obesity+running = disaster. Don't judge me... (smh).


Oh, I'm still doing Insanity too. I got a little bored with it so I decided to run 3 days and do Insanity for 3 days. That way I shouldn't get too tired of either for a little while. I am a little worried about the toll the two will take on my knees.


I've also decided to change my "my week". I'm finding it difficult to switch my meal plans and exercise routines up on Tuesdays so I'm going to start "my week" off on Mondays. Last week's weigh in reaped a total of 1lb lost.


I'm not pleased but a pound lost is better than a pound gained any day. So I'll take that. I'll work harder next week and hope that the running combined with Insanity will reap better results. I'm thinking of switching to My version of the Atkins Diet for the next two weeks and see if I can't loose 7 pounds to reach an even 210. We'll see. God, I wish I didn't bore so quickly.



2 comments:

  1. I have started and stopped the C25K program twice. It's honestly a good program. I was just lazy. I know tons of people who have used it though. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Briana,

    I have been on and off again with running too but I'm going to try to stick with it this time. I really enjoy it. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading and accompanying me through this journey! I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to leave a comment.